Sunday, August 12, 2007

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream For...





Ah a hot summer day. What is better than a nice, big ice cream cone? Yesterday, while Cortney fished with my dad and brothers, my mom and I watched Jack. After the three of us swam in Jack's pool (yes, we all got in), it was time for a snack. And what better summer treat than an ice cream cone?

I remember when I was a kid, my Grandma Jo would take us for ice cream almost every night when we camped with her at the beach. Getting ice cream with her is ingrained in my memory. She always got Butter Pecan for herself and always let us get whatever we wanted - even though she was sure to have to "lick around" for us. My mom was not quite as generous to Jack. She poo-poo-ed the first request for Superman ice cream when a look at me received a serious headshake. No, no. Aunt Katie was NOT going to lick around that when needed. So Jack settled on his favorite standby, Mint Chocolate Chip - also my favorite. Although after eating my entire cone AND licking around Jack's, I don't think I need to get that flavor for a while. My mom, of course, had Butter Pecan.

Hopefully my mom keeps taking Jack - and someday her other future grandkids - out for ice cream. I know it's one of the things I remember and miss most about my Grandma Jo, and I am sure it is one of the things Jack will remember about HIS Grandma.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying." ~Michael Jordan