Tuesday, November 25, 2008

It's the Time of Year for Giving!

As we are continually reminded in the newspapers and on TV, our country is looking at some pretty rough times. This is evident to me every day I go to work. While I know many are hurting during this time of year because I read in the newspaper that companies are cutting jobs or that the weather is getting cold for those without homes, those can tend to be empty statistics--numbers, not people.

Each day I come to work, I see faces that belong with those statistics. I have kids who don't have a regular home to go to, or a place to shower every day. I have students who won't have a Thanksgiving or a Christmas, for that matter. I have kids who struggle to get good grades in hopes of going to a college they may not even be able to afford.

Our school district is really great about all the drives we have for families like this and Cort and I always try to give to a few of them each year. We know we are not rolling in extra money--especially this time of year--but giving back to the kids and families I care about is important to us.

This time of year, most schools and churches have drives and fundraisers that you may not know about if you dn't have kids in the district or aren't a member of the church. If you have the means this holiday season, please consider donating time, money, or gifts to one of these worthy causes. I promise you it won't seem like a lot to you, but it will be a HUGE difference to some family!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying." ~Michael Jordan