Friday, May 22, 2009

Counting Our Blessings

Yesterday was a wonderful day. A WONDERFUL day.

I had a sub yesterday in my classroom so I could join the other senior class adviser and our staff volunteers on the senior class picnic. The day began with the Senior Class Honors Ceremony. I love to watch as over half the graduating class takes the stage to accept some sort of award or scholarship. Over HALF the class. Outstanding.

Then we all traveled to Craig's Cruisers for an afternoon of food, games, and hanging out one last time as a class. I couldn't do many of the activities this year due to my little tag-along, Eddie, but I did do mini-golf with a couple teachers and some students. I think I did pretty well get TWO holes in one!

After Craig's Cruisers, the buses brought us back to Park for some games on the football field. When I got off the bus, one of the gym teachers who had gotten there ahead of me to set up told me that I was needed in the principal's office ASAP. "Don't worry," he said, "they said it was nothing bad." I was worried anyway because, well, I worry about stuff.

I walked into my principal's office and shut the door. With a big smile on his face, he told me the best news that could have POSSIBLY come my way this week...I AM NO LONGER ON THE TRANSFER LIST!!!! My job--for next year anyway--is SAFE!

You know the saying that a weight is lifted? I think the WOLRD was lifted off me when he said that. I almost hugged him. I almost cried. Instead he kicked me out because I needed to get back to the kids, but I DID text Cortney immediately who, in return, repsonded with "SWEET FANCY! THAT IS SWEET!" Yeah, it is.

On my way home from school yesterday, I started counting my blessings...literally. Grandma Sluiter pointed out to us all not so long ago that it's easy to ask for help and to turn to people when things are rough, but we have to remember to be thankful when things are great too.

I started listing in my head all the things I was so very thankful for. Before I knew it, I was overwhelmed with how long the list was getting. Just recently Mike and Ashley got engaged, I received some job security, Cort had a really great meeting with his advisor at GRCC, Cody and Liz became homeowners, MacKenzie and Dave found renters for their other condo, my grandpa is healing well from his stroke...and that is just a few that have happened very recently! There are so many more!

It's part of human nature to forget about the bad and start taking advantage of the good...and even find things to whine about in the good times, but I hope very much that this past week will remain with me and fuel a more positive attitude about the negative situations that come my way.

2 comments:

Trisha said...

Great. Love the positive attitude outlook. I need to do that more often also. I am glad things are looking up for you! Also, so funny when Cort says "sweet fancy" we Visel's love that.

missy widener said...

that is such good news...but really I knew it would be all good, you are too awesome for it not to be.

Post a Comment

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying." ~Michael Jordan