Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Professor And Mary Ann? Not Quite...

Due to many factors (the uncertainty of my job situation, Cortney's lack of job situation, etc.), Cortney and I discussed it and it was decided that I would apply to GRCC for some of their open English positions. On Monday of this week, I got the call and email that they would like me to interview for an adjunct position.

Adjunct basically means add-on. So an adjunct professor is one who is adding a college course to whatever else they do in life, usually teaching elsewhere. Wednesday was the day of the interview. After filling out all my paperwork, and meeting with the assistant dean to interview, I was pooped. Eddie, Louis and I crashed big time Wednesday night!
The interview went GREAT, and on Friday, the assistant dean called a reference of mine, and I was offered the job via email!
Cort and I discussed the offer for about two seconds and I accepted! So, Professor Sluiter will be teaching Developmental English Tuesday and Thursday evenings from January 7 until April 29! This is a great opportunity for our family and for my career! I am happy to be able to help us out financially in this rough patch AND I hope to acquire some job security at GRCC that I don't have at Park.

Speaking of my job in Wyoming, I will be hearing before Christmas whether I have a job for next semester and what it will be (if at all). The assistant dean did tell me she could add a couple more teaching assignments (during the day) if I find out the worst: that I don't have a job in Wyoming to go back to. So, we are feeling very blessed and very excited about what the future holds.

Thank you all for all your prayers through this! We continue to be grateful for all of you!

1 comments:

missy widener said...

this is so, so great. good things will keep coming I KNOW it.

Post a Comment

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying." ~Michael Jordan