Friday, September 3, 2010

I Lost What I Was Going to Say

My wonderful friend, Adrienne always tells me to "write the story just behind [my] eyes" when I go to her for topic advice.  And I always listen to her.

Earlier today there was something right behind my eyes.  I was going to blog about it.  Then I lost it.  Blame it on mom brain, or the fact that today was suddenly fall around here and I was all cozy and sleepy about it...i don't know.  I just know I lost the story.

But it's Ok!  Because also today?  My other wonderful friend, Miranda (who could very well be my long lost twin), tagged me in a blog game thingy.

The idea is to answer the questions that the tagger has.  Then come up with new questions and tag some new bloggers.  and the whole world will be filled with bloggers knowing bloggers...or something.

Anyway...it gives me something to write about in lieu of the fact that I lost the story behind my eyes.  Sigh...

So.  here we go.


1. What decade during the last century would you have chosen to be a teenager? Why?First let's get it out of the way that I WAS a teenager in the 90's.  And I actually really loved it.  Looking back I totally wouldn't change being a part of all that teen angst and grunge music and the birth of alternative music and the flannel (oh the flannel!) and the Doc Martins.  It was all so great!  But at the time, I probably would have picked the 70's.  I loved the peace movements and the bell bottoms and the long, straight hair.  Hmmm...wait.  I did all those things in the 90's too.  Ok.  So I will stick with the 90's.  They were awesome.

2. What's the best compliment you've ever received?
Hmmm...lots of nice things have been said to me.  I am all lucky that way.  I think the nicest thing that I can remember ever being said to me was in the 10th grade.  I am from a VERY conservatively religious small town.  Pretty much everyone went to some sort of church youth group on Wednesday nights. 

My friend was newish to town (she moved here from a suburb near Chicago in the middle of our 8th grade year).  Everyone pushed her to come to THEIR church.  It was well known that her family didn't attend church and it became like a crusade to see who could "save" her.

One time, right in chemistry class, she said to me, "you know, Katie, you have never once pushed me to go to church with you.  Why?"

and I said, "you don't like church.  you told me that before." 

and she said, "you are the only person who I would think is like Jesus.  He supposedly just accepted people.  He didn't judge them.  all these other people are judging me for not going to church.  You have never judged me.  Thank you."

and that is all we have ever said about church to each other.  But I have carried it with me since.  She taught me that my actions show what is important to me MUCH more than any church membership.

3. What's the bravest thing you've ever done?
I don't consider much of what I do brave.  Mostly because I don't really feel brave while I am doing it.

Although I guess for me trying to get pregnant for a third time after two miscarriages was something I truly felt brave doing.  I knew what COULD happen.  I went through it. I knew it could happen again.  But I got pregnant anyway.

4. Until what age would you like to live and why?
I want to live old enough that all children I might have can remember me happily.  I want to live long enough that my children are independent and Cortney does not have to struggle to care for them on his own.  I want to live forever. Just like my cat.  We will both never die.

Ok so now I tag some peeps that I want to answer some questions.  And this is a stumper because some of the people who I would LIKE to do this...probably won't.  But this is who I am going to tag....
1. Grace
2. Lisa
3. Torie

And here are you questions my dear ones:

1. If you could give your child anything that he/she does not already have, what would it be and why?
2. What do you believe your biggest strength is?
3. What is the most dangerous thing you have ever done?
4. And the age old question...if you could talk to anyone alive or dead who would it be and why?

Ok...answer those questions, dearies!

4 comments:

torie@Life With Rylie said...

Aw thanks! I loved your answer for #2. :)

But what happens if I already did this? Should I do it again (I didn't tag anyone though)

Unknown said...

I love the compliment you recieved. What a great reminder of what people notice about us.

Adrienne Jones said...

The story behind your eyes will be back. They tend to be nagging sorts of things when they're ready to be told. ;-)

And number 2? I love that. Growing up in a church that pushed their message out, and HARD, made me confused. I knew that didn't make sense; otherwise, what was all that love business about, anyway?

When Brian and I became Mennonites (sort of; it's like Judaism in the sense that it's a belief system/religion, but also a culture of which no convert will ever be totally a part), we were relieved to find people who believed the same thing. Share the love; be the light. No sales requirement in it anywhere!

alicia said...

That's a great compliment. Wow!

Post a Comment

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying." ~Michael Jordan